November 10, 2012

Maxie B's News Insider: Lisa and Olivia, the rest of our decorating trio!




The next several blogs will be featuring our wonderful team here at Maxie B's Bakery. We had all of our fantastic staff fill out questionnaires...some questions were serious, some were funny; I really wanted everyone to have fun with this! I prefaced the first blog with Elizabeth Volinski, our very first cake decorator who joined us back in 2004. Since then we have gained two more talented and wonderful decorators, Lisa Daniel and Olivia Allen. Lisa joined us in 2005 and Olivia in 2006. 


                              Lisa Daniel 







1) If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?



I would love to be a traveling food writer with my adventurous husband.


2) After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?



To relax and unwind after work I ride my bike, listen to music, or just sit down for a little while. 


3) What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B’s?



One of my favorite memories is how we thought the Market Street store was haunted. Some odd things happened there, especially early in the morning or at night after the store closed. It wasn't scary but we all thought something (someone?) was hanging out with is. 


4)  What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?  And your favorite?



My least favorite chore is cleaning out the refrigerator and my favorite is doing yard work. 



5)   What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B’s?



My favorite cake is Brown Stone Front 



6) What do you remember most from your childhood?

Two things I remember most about my childhood is running around with my sister and I remember lots of family gatherings and my grandparents house and all of the wonderful food my grandmothers would cook. 

7) If you were an ice cream, what flavor would be? 

If I were an ice cream I would be mint chocolate chip.

8) If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

If I could trade places with any other person it would be Jim Henson.

9) What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?

I always have muenster cheese in the refrigerator.

10) What is your favorite color?

My favorite color is '70's avocado green.

11) Decaf or regular?

Depends in the morning. 

12) How did you end at Maxie B's and how long have you been here?

I ended up at Maxie B's by accident. I saw an article written about the bakery in 'Yes Weekly' and thought it looked interesting. There was a photo of a cake decorated with daisies I think. When I saw the article I was working in another bakery doing all of the pastries and desserts but I knew I wanted to learn more about cake decorating.  I put in an application, didn't hear back for a while, then had an interview with Robin and Elizabeth.  Turned out that they did need help because Elizabeth was pregnant and would be taking time off soon for maternity leave. I started a couple of weeks later and I've been at the bakery for seven years now!

13) What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?

My favorite season is fall. I celebrate by making a huge pot of beans and greens soup and having lots of friends over for soup and pumpkin carving.

14) Dog or cat person?

I'm both a dog and cat person, but I don't have any pets. 

15) What is your favorite song or artist?

My longest running favorite song is "Busy" by Jawbreaker.  A song that always makes me dance around is "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark and the funky bunch.  Cheesy at it's finest.


16) What is your biggest accomplishment?

My biggest accomplishment is all of the relationships I've been lucky enough to develop and maintain with family and life long friends (although Will said it was the fried chicken I made in an attempt to woo him when we first started dating. I guess it worked!)

Olivia Allen




1) If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?

New flavor tester at Ben & Jerry's Headquarters

2) After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?

Read, Facebook, Pinterest, TV, Sleep! 

3) What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B’s?

Moving to our new kitchen from Market Street

4)  What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?  And your favorite?

My least favorite is folding laundry and my favorite is mowing the grass!

5)   What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B’s?

Anything with cream cheese icing ... or dark chocolate ...

6) What do you remember most from your childhood?

Time with my Grandma at her house 

7) If you were an ice cream, what flavor would be? 

Chocolate chip cookie dough

8) If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?

Neil Armstrong

9) What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?

Two kinds of milk! And I don't even drink it!

10) What is your favorite color?

It's a tie between gray and green

11) Decaf or regular?

Regular

12) How did you end at Maxie B's and how long have you been here?

I actually stopped at the Market Street Store one day after working at Green Valley, but it was closed because Shannon was getting married! So I went to Battleground, met Whitney E., she smiled and gave me an application ... 6 years!

13) What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?

Spring, break out the flip flops!

14) Dog or cat person?

DOG

15) What is your favorite song or artist?

Too many ... really enjoying Mumford & Sons lately

16) What is your biggest accomplishment?

Shelby 

Stay tuned for the rest of our team!