January 23, 2013

Maxie B's News Insider: Emily and Jen

Now that the Holidays have passed and we have started a New Year here at the shop, we can continue with our quest to introduce our fabulous staff. Today's post will feature Emily Harden and Jen Klingmann. Emily has been with us for almost six years now and Jen joined us almost two years ago! Emily and Jen happen to be roommates and also live with Kristi McKenzie, another one of Maxie B's smiling faces (who will be featured next week)! I'm sure you've seen these two in the cafĂ© at one time or another with their smiles and positive energy! Both have grown tremendously within the shop and we love having them here.

Emily Harden 
  • If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?
    • Without a doubt I would start off as a teacher, become an administrator, and then when I had years of teaching under my belt, dive into working towards the education reform our country is in dire need of. 
  • After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?
    • I usually work both jobs in one day so when I go home there isn't time for anything but sleep, although on my nights off I like to go back to my parents' house for a good meal.
  • What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B's?
    • I can't think of one specific memory that is best; it is more the feeling of belonging that I feel at Maxie B's that I love the most. 
  • What is your least favorite chore to do around the house? And your favorite?
    • Sweeping, absolutely. I don't do it at home and the girls at the shop know that I'm the worst at it there as well. My favorite would be organizing anything and everything. 
  • What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B's?
    • CARAMEL. CARAMEL. Although I did have a love affair with Brown Stone Front for a few years.
  • What do you remember most from your childhood?
    • Reading books with my parents, I will forever be grateful for the love of reading they instilled in me. 
  • If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be?
    • If I say Vanilla, because it is my favorite flavor, does that make me too boring?
  • If you would trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
    • Harry Potter. Or Maria from the Sound of Music. I've spent twenty minutes trying to pick one and I can't. So, a magical, singing nanny. Wait, that would be Mary Poppins? 
  • What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?
    • Pierogies!! Jen and I have an obsession.
  • What is your favorite color?
    • Sunshine yellow!
  • Decaf or regular?
    • Water!
  • How did you end up at Maxie B's and how long have you been here?
    • I wandered into Maxie B's when I was 16 and looking for my first job. I got hired in March 2007 and six years later, I'm still here!
  • What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?
    • Christmas!!! I love traditions of any sort, so all of the traditions and love that come with Christmas make me a very happy chicken.
  • Dog or cat person?
    • I prefer chickens.
  • What is your favorite song or artist?
    • After the Storm is my favorite song and it is by Mumford and Sons, my favorite artist!
  • What is your biggest accomplishment?
    • Moving to New York when I was 18, having the courage to know when it was time to come home to North Carolina, and being the first person in my family to graduate from college.



Jen Klingmann




  • If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?
    • I would choose to be a kindergarten teacher...I LOVE little kids.
  • After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?
    • Lounge, because Maxie B's really tires out the feet!
  • What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B's?
    • Most definitely the Holiday Open House! It's so fun to let everyone see what we get to see everyday!
  • What is your least favorite chore to do around the house? And your favorite?
    • There's no such thing as a favorite...but my least favorite is laundry!
  • What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B's?
    • Caramel!!! All the Strawberry Buttercream fans don't know what they're missing!
  • What do you remember most from your childhood?
    • Camping with my family, all over the country!
  • If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be?
    • I would be Chocolate, without a doubt!
  • If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
    • I would love to trade places with Gandhi! His legacy fascinates me and he was able to experience so much.
  • What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?
    • Pierogies.
  • What is your favorite color?
    • Everyone know this about me...Teal!
  • Decaf or Regular?
    • Regular. The more caffeine, the better.
  • How did you end up at Maxie B's and how long have you been here?
    • My past bakery experience led me to Maxie B's, and it's just impossible not to love it as soon as you step inside! I've been apart of the team since February 2011.
  • What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?
    • Summer of course, what could be better than tanning pool-side?!
  • Dog person or cat person?
    • Cat person, but who doesn't love puppies?
  • What is your favorite song or artist?
    • I have an irrational love for John Mayer.  
  • What is your biggest accomplishment?
    • I am very proud of myself for moving so far from home...it wasn't easy becoming independent of my family and friends!
And next week, we will feature Kristi, Katie, and Carrie!