December 12, 2012

Maxie B's News Insider: Michael, Jenny, and Amanda


Today's blog features three of our more recent bakery assistants, all of whom started working here in the summer. Jenny joined us first and started in the Cafe slicing up cake for our customers, but soon found her home in the kitchen. Jenny does anything from cutting fresh strawberries, working on icings, or even cupcakes. Michael then joined our team and started in the kitchen and now does anything from baking to icing to cupcakes. Amanda joined us late summer and can be found doing all the aforementioned fun jobs in the bakery! She has a background in cake decorating! Jenny, Michael, and Amanda are all wonderful help and we enjoy their goofy personalities and hard work!

Jenny, Michael, and Amanda


Jenny Eldridge
  • If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?
    • I would a large animal vet (horses, cows, etc.)
  • After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?
    • Watch my dogs play in the yard
  • What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B's?
    • Meeting so many awesome co-workers 
  • What is your least favorite chore to do around the house? And your favorite?
    • I hate putting away laundry, but sweeping dog hair off the wood floors is instant gratification 
  • What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B's?
    • Apple with Cinnamon Cream Cheese
  • What do you remember most from your childhood?
    • Exploring the woods with my brother. We were outside all day until dark most days
  • If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be?
    • Chunky Monkey ... (I just like the name)
  • If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
    • Eckhart Tolle. He's the author of The Power of Now; It's a life changing book!!!
  • What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?
    • Collard greens. I didn't know what they were when I first moved to North Carolina from California. Now I am slightly obsessed.
  • Decaf or regular?
    • Regular
  • How did you end up at Maxie B's and how long have you been here?
    • I moved to Greensboro on a whim 6 months ago. I drove up and down Battleground thinking "Where would be a fun place to work"? So I applied to Maxie B's. My hunch was right, it's so much fun working here!
  • What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?
    • I love fall! It's the perfect water for camping and hiking in the mountains.
  • Dog person or cat person?
    • DOGS
  • What is your favorite song or artist?
    • I can't pick just one ... I love Paul Simon, Al Green, The Beatles, and The John Butler Trio
Michael Krauss
  • If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?
    • My career path would be to become a Scenic Designer or Production Designer for Theatre and Film. This is actually the career path that I am working toward now.
  • After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?
    • I like to go for a run at the gym, then spend some time sketching and drawing in my sketchbook.
  • What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B's?
    • Well, being so new here at Maxie B's, my memory selection is pretty limited, but I'd have to say that my favorite memories are of all the potluck lunches that we have to celebrate weddings and birthdays. 
  • What is your least favorite chore to do around the house? And your favorite?
    • My least favorite chore has to be folding and hanging up laundry. I can't stand it. My favorite chore would have to be cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, mainly because the smell of bleach really takes me back to my childhood. 
  • What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B's?
    • I can't choose just one. It's definitely a three way tie: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip, Hummingbird, and Apple with Cinnamon Cream Cheese. (Although a molasses ginger cookie really beats all!). 
  • What do you remember most from your childhood?
    • I have so many amazing memories from my childhood, fishing with my Papa, my Nana picking me up from camp and going to spend the day together, cooking with my mom, and sailing and boating with my dad. My family is the important part of who I am. 
  • If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be? 
    • Pistachio 
  • If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
    • Well, if the options for fictional exists, it would be with The Doctor from the long-running classic sci-fi show "Doctor Who". He gets to travel with his friends throughout all of time and space, he can visit historical events, alter the course of the future, visit distant planets and universes. There is something so magical about that. 
  • What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?
    • As any good Italian boy would, you will ALWAYS find garlic in my fridge.
  • What is your favorite color?
    • It's a three-way tie again between blue, purple, and green.
  • Decaf or regular?
    • High octane all the way!
  • How did you end up at Maxie B's and how long have you been there?
    • Well, it's a long story, but I left the teaching profession to follow my dream of going back to Graduate School for Scenic Design, and I ended up at Maxie B's by a  bit of serendipity. I've been working here for about 3 months now.
  • What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?
    • Fall. I love to have a warm and cozy home. So I bake a lot, it will always feel like cinnamon and apples, lots of candles in mason jars, hosting dinner parties with close friends.
  • Dog person or cat person?
    • Dog person. I wouldn't know what to do without my love, Kinsey.
  • What is your favorite song or artist?
    • Right now I'm going through a bit of a blue grass/folk kick with Mumford and Sons and Phillip Phillips. I also really enjoy the dance/pop group Scissor Sisters.
  • What is your biggest accomplishment?
    • Graduating from my program at UNCG and teaching my students especially through our last productions of "Crazy For You."
Amanda McGee
  • If money were no object, what career path would you want to follow?
    • I am kind of following that path. I've always wanted to make beautiful desserts.
  • After a long day at work, what do you do to relax and unwind?
    • Read a book, watch my favorite shows, and go to the park
  • What is your favorite memory of being at Maxie B's?
    • The day I learned how to make caramel
  • What is your least favorite chore to do around the house? And your favorite?
    • Laundry is my least, raking leaves is my favorite
  • What is your favorite cake flavor from Maxie B's?
    • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip - yum!
  • What do you remember most from your childhood?
    • Spending summers with my grandparents
  • If you were an ice cream, what flavor would you be?
    • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
    • Anyone who attends Hogwarts
  • What is the one food you always have in your refrigerator?
    • Eggs
  • What is your favorite color?
    • Green
  • Decaf or regular?
    • Regular
  • How did you end up Maxie B's and how long have you been here?
    • I wanted to follow my passion for decorating and decided to apply...about two months. 
  • What is your favorite season and what is your favorite way to celebrate it?
    • Fall - to go to seasonal festivals
  • Dog person or cat person?
    • Dog
  • What is favorite song or artist?
    • Kodachrome - Paul Simon
  • What is your biggest accomplishment?
    • Graduating from Appalachian State University 

Stay tuned for more of our wonderful staff!